How to make Chiman’s Spicy Chick Peas Soup Spice Blend – Medium Hot.
This can be cooked in a Thermal Cooker if you have one using the instructions below.
If you don’t have a thermal cooker this spice blend can be cooked in the conventional way using the instructions on the packet but remember you will not save up to 80% on cooking fuel.
- Chimans Spicy Chick Peas Soup Spice Blend
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 tbsps ripe skinned/tinned tomatoes, finely chopped
- 225g tinned chick peas
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in the inner pot over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and fry until golden brown.
- Stir in spices and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and stir fry until the tomatoes and spice mixture have combined and turn light brown.
- Add chick peas and 240ml of water.
- Stir in the lemon juice and bring to the boil.
- Put the inner pot into the insulated outer container and shut the lid,
- Cook without power for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Serve garnished with fresh coriander.
- Chiman’s spice mixes have a long best before time, however are safe to use after that time. They simply lose some flavour.
- If you are cooking for less than 4 people you could freeze some of the cooked meal or only use half the packet.
- If you find the food too spicy or too hot, simply use less than the whole sachet of spices according to taste.
- If you like more of a chilli kick, add some fresh chopped chilli to the dish or serve in a small bowl so that everyone can have exactly the amount they like.
- If you find your mouth burning, resist the temptation to drink water. Instead, have a spoonful of yogurt or a lassi drink.
- We often get asked which oil to use – vegetable oil is the best option as it is light, doesn’t affect the flavour of the spices and it’s healthy too!
- Best for kids (and adults!) who like a mild curry: Kofta Bhoona (let them roll the balls themselves); Chicken Korma; Chicken Tikka Masala; Cauliflower & Spinach Bhaji
- An anonymous tip: Try adding a few green peas to the Spicy Chick Peas. It adds colour without upsetting the balance of the dish
Cumin, Coriander, Garam Maslala, Paprika, Ginger, Sea Salt, Chilli, Turmeric, Cayenne Pepper